Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Fun Day with Fifth Graders

I had the pleasure to work with fifth graders at an elementary school today. I meant to respond the same day that I worked with them.  It was such a great time.  I worked with them in their understanding of expository text.  We made a graphic organizer out of colored paper.  I asked them about the structure of expository text.  We used the colored paper and divided it into three section with flaps.  We wrote Introduction, Body and Conclusion in the three areas.  Then I showed them tactile kinesthetically  what the expository could look like if we acted it out.  We discussed thesis and central idea.  Lots of fun!  Then I shared my expository piece called Sammy the Silly.  We discussed how it could be considered expository with a thesis statement, body that supports the thesis statement and conclusion that wraps it up.  I used reasons, examples and anecdotal evidenced to support my thesis statement.  I loved working with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment