Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Friday, May 6, 2016

Calm Before the Storm

How do I feel just one day before my students will be taking the STAAR Math and Reading test?  Right now, I feel calm in knowing that if they do everything that they have been taught, they will do fine.  I am also calm because I know that I did everything within my power to prepare them. I know that they will give it their best and feel confident. Let's face it, the test is not easy. It requires understanding of genre and structure. It requires understanding a zillion Math concepts. It requires stamina, critical thinking, and perseverance. I have tried to instill these traits in my kids. Many entered the classroom with this grit and determination.

I contemplate the year and wonder, what could I have done differently? I am not sure what I could have done differently. Life is a journey and I learn along the way. If I had know what I know now, I would have changed a few things, but not too much. When I am in the moment, I try my best, put my best food forward, and adjust as I am able. Hindsight is 20/20, so there are some things that I could have spent more time on and some things that could have been tossed to the side. It is hard to juggle all subject areas and three tests in one year. Some things just have to give. All that I can say is that I reflected, tried by best, and adjusted where I saw fit. I do hope that it will be enough for each and every student.

Overall, I am proud of all of my students and their progress. I certainly am proud to be their teacher. I know that they are well prepared for 5th grade and beyond. I have done my best and it is good enough. Now, let the chips fall where they may. I say this with confidence and have prayed much. We will see what happens this Monday and Tuesday.

I found this video that Alana Morris had shown me at an inservice at Edgewood Elementary. I will show it my students today. It will be a great video to watch that is about a Thailand boy's soccer team, but more importantly, it is about determination and finding a way. Onward and upward!

(They loved watching it!)


No comments:

Post a Comment