Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Friday, October 3, 2014

Disgusting Dog

I have been working with some teachers this year.  We have spent some time studying the teaching of writing.  In these workshops, I have shared what was going on in my life.  The last time that I met with this group, I spoke about my disgusting dog named Cutie.  Don't let the name confuse you. Outwardly, she is so cute.  Cutie lives up to her name.  She has white curly poodle fur and small body with dark eyes, black mouth and black paws. She is half poodle and half Maltese. Cutie is a
Maltepoo.
America's Most Wanted
Cutie
Serial Rodent Slayer


Lately, Cutie's behavior has much to be desired.  She has done some quite disgusting things.  When I spoke to the teachers about this the first time, I shared with them that my Cutie little ten pound doggie is a rat killer.  Yes, I said it. She is a rat killer.  It is either that or rats just suddenly come into my yard and croak.  I choose to go with the rat killer scenario.

About two months ago, my daughter went out in the backyard to fix the air conditioner.  Sometimes, out of nowhere the air conditioner stops working and then spews out hot air.  When that happens, we have to go to the electric box in the flip the switch back on.  It clicks off from time to time.  That day Elizabeth noticed that there was a dead decomposing rat near her feet.  She freaked out and ran to the house and would not leave me alone until I helped her dispose of the dead rat body. I went into the garage and scooped up a shovel and a big plastic garbage bag.  She held the bag and I scooped up the smelly rat.  Then I disposed of the body in the garbage can.  Done.  I didn't think more about it.  I didn't put much thought into the fact that it died in my yard.  I never thought a thing about Cutie.

I did remember Cutie was rolling in something the day before though.  I watched Cutie, from my bedroom window, wallow.  I thought that what she was wallowing in could be be something disgusting and smelly. But what?  I wasn't sure what it could be.  I never imagined that it would have been a dead rat.  Disgusting! I thought.  Why do dogs have to be so disgusting? I asked my daughter. Elizabeth shrugged her shoulders and sighed, I don't know Mom. Cutie is disgusting!

I shared that story with the teachers and they agreed that my dog is very disgusting. Hold the phone! I have more.  Not long after the back yard incident, I came from work and it was a zillion degrees outside.  The humidity was extraordinary that day.  I was seeing lights and my head was throbbing something horrible.  The lights are the beginnings of my migraines.  When I opened the door and entered my house, my dogs went crazy because they know that when I get home, they get to go outside.  I noticed immediately that the air kicked off again and it felt like an oven inside.  I let the dogs out and went straight toward the electric box in my backyard.  My dogs were overly excited about me joining them in the backyard.  They keep barking and jumping around.  After I turned the switch, I looked down at Cutie and she seemed so excited.  She had something in her mouth.  It was dangling from her mouth. I focused in and then I was able to make out what she was carrying around.  I was horrified and disgusted at the same time.  Yes, you probably have guessed.  She had a black rat in her mouth.  It's head was dangling from the body.  I could make out its teeth.  She was galumphing in the grass with a dead black and white rat in her mouth.  It made me want to gag.

I was suffering from a major migraine and I had to witness my adorable dog walking around with a dead black rodent in her black mouth. She had no care in the world.  She seemed to be very content to have this prize in her mouth. Not a pretty sight. Not so cute at all. Since I could do nothing about it, because by this time my migraine was raging and my head felt like it was ready to explode, I decided to run inside and lay down. I cannot deal with this now! I said. When my daughter arrived home from school, I asked her to deal with it.  She didn't know what to do.  Because she saw me in my condition, she tried to go out and dispose of the dead body without my help.  Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, my daughter couldn't find it. I don't know where Cutie had buried it or hid it, but my daughter could not find it. I am sure that she did not look in every nook and cranny.  After all, she would have to work this crime scene without me. Thinking about this spectacle made my migraine worse because then I thought, I didn't know that we had rats in our yard. Rats? Disgusting! I know the dogs always go to my neighbor's part of the wooden fence, where we had a tree cut down.  It is mostly a worn out, rotting stump now.  Maybe the rats have taken up their residence there.  My ferocious predator canines make a bee line for that area most days and bark up a storm.

Through this process I have learned some things about my dog Cutie.  These revelations were not completely new to me.  First, I now know that my dog is a serial rodent killer.  She is a pathological rodent killer that shows no remorse and gladly displays the bodies for all to see.  She rolls in anything dead or deeply disgusting. I need to pay attention when I see her rolling in the grass.  I thought maybe her back needed scratching and that maybe that is what she was trying to do?  Not anymore.  She cannot jump up on the furniture either because I have seen her roll on her back on the couch.  Now that I know what could possibly be on her back, there is no way she can do that.  No way, no how!

Lastly, I have come to understand that even though Cutie is adorable, she is capable of some dastardly acts.  I cannot trust her in the least. Never would I have thought that she would find and kill rats.  I had no idea that rats were roaming in my backyard.  From time to time, I see cats walking along my wooden fence and sometimes possums, but never thought I would see rats.  Uggh! Disgusting!

No comments:

Post a Comment