Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

How Things Change


Driving in from work, I got to thinking about how time has flown by.  Looking at a building where I have worked for so many years, doesn't look that inviting anymore.  In fact, it feels more stoic and dismal than a place of wonder and joy.  Boy how things have changed! But...change happens. As we all know, change is inevitable.  People move on, organizations change.  I must also move on and change. It is definitely the perfect time and I am so happy to oblige myself.  It is funny how what I once thought was my niche, my home away from home, has now become so foreign to me.  I know why. It is not the building that has changed.  It is not the parking that has changed.  It is not even the walls and floors that have changed. The people that I have worked with make it a great place to be. These people that I hold near and dear are gone or will be leaving.  It is the relationships and memories that I cherish the most in this building.  They will stay with me, but I must move on too.

I went into one of my close friend's work area.  In fact, two years back we used to share this small work area.  We had some great conversations, venting sessions, brainstorming blitzes, and shared a few pizzas and Murphy's Deli sandwiches.  Who likes the vegetable pita with Grandma's Peach Iced Tea?  Who keeps the caps of these teas as a souvenir? My friend and colleague.  Oh, the memories.  Now this cherished work space is an unused office with a few leftover posters of the Texans begging for her return.  Being without her and others is just not the same.  Never will be.

As I walk down the hallway and into my ex-boss's office, I get teary-eyed.  The memories of the Monday meetings and cinnamon tea permeate my senses.  I long for the laughter, conversations and intense planning sessions.  It was synergistic!  Never will come my way again.  Never.

As I entered the building, I knew in my heart that this once sacred place had lost its frill and meaning.  Grateful I am to have had such wonderful camaraderie and collegiality for so many years.  It is true what some people say, "You never know what you have until you lose it."  I do know this now, but I never wanted it to end.  I definitely feel blessed to have been a part of such a great team!  Being and working with this team has been nothing short of spectacular.  Maybe in my next job, I will be able to capture some of that teamwork and synergy.  It is possible.  Did I say never?

Change is good and always  inevitable.  This couldn't have lasted forever. I look forward to the next chapter in my life. I know it will be great.  Funny how things change.  Things that looked so desirable, now hold nothing for me.  Bring on the change!


No comments:

Post a Comment