Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Gary

A high school classmate of mine is dying of cancer.  One of my friends from high school let me know on Face Book that he is in a nursing home and is dying of cancer.  I don't remember what kind of cancer that he suffers from, but it is very painful.  He can only communicate by writing messages on an ipad.

Today one of his friends posted that he asks only for prayer. My classmate Chris asked him what he could do for him and all he wanted was prayer.  I guess when you get that bad and you are on the verge of death that is probably what is best.  What can you say in a situation like that? I haven't talked to Gary since my high school graduation.  He was a guy in class who was there.  He didn't do much to call attention to himself.  Sometimes he would crack jokes and laugh. He was, for lack of better terms, Gary. He liked life and living. He didn't try to act any other way than being Gary.  I remember that he wore those light brown corduroy pants with a stripped shirt with a collar.  He was just Gary.  Never hurt a fly, never harmed anyone.

 Gary was bullied incessantly by a shrimp of a kid named Reed.  This short kid sat behind Gary in class. He would flick Gary's ears and make fun of him.  Gary just sat there and took it.  Day in and day out, he took it.  One day I had enough of Reed's pestilence. STOP IT! I said.  I knew that it was risky, but I didn't care. This miniature little punk could have turned on me. I didn't matter.  I couldn't take it anymore.  I told him to lay off and guess what?  He did!  Reed actually left Gary alone.

Now Gary has to be 47 or so years old. I don't know if he ever married or had kids.  All I know is that he is in a nursing home that I had visited in my youth. I wonder who visits him and how he is doing.  It gets me thinking about family and how important family is in times like this.
I don't think I can call him.  What would I say?  I wasn't his BFF or anything.  I have sent up some prayers for him and his family though.  Who knows?  I might find the courage to text him.  He may or may not remember me.  If I do, I hope that it will bring him a little reprieve from his suffering. That much I can hope for. Gary, I am praying for you.  God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment