Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Migraines And Clenching and Bruxism

Just received my diagnosis from my dentist.  It is clenching.  Yes, clenching of my teeth, while in a state of rest, that is causing my thermal sensitivity and throbbing pain.  It is grinding, yes grinding, my teeth as I sleep that is causing me to be miserable.  This has been my song for the last six months.  What is the cause of clenching and grinding?  STRESS!  I need Rolaids!  It won't take away my stress.  I wish something could take it away for me.

This bruxism or teeth grinding has caused me to also have migraines.  I just suffered to two horrible ones in the last two weeks.  That is why I started back on my 17 Day Diet and returned to exercise with Shaun T and Hip Hop Abs.  Since I started back on a healthy life style, I have not had any migraines or any whisperings of them.

So now what?  I could quit my stress, which would produce more stress.  No matter what, stress is to be found. I need to deal with it through proper diet and Hip Hop Abs.  Nice walks will do as well.  I have been consistent with diet and exercise for a week and I am feeling better, but it hasn't stopped the clenching completely.

I have to use a mouth guard.  My dentist made impressions with this nasty pink stuff today.  The dental assistant made the impressions up my upper and lower teeth.  I had to smell that disgusting goo for 2 minutes  or so.  Now the hard part is over...at least I hope that is true.  I will pick the mouth guard up in two weeks and hopefully I will notice the difference.  I seriously don't want to grind my teeth anymore because it will cause more problems.  Dental work is costly plus I would like to drink room temperature water without cringing.  The pain is very difficult to take.

For me, it is not entirely about a mouth guard. For me, it is about learning to control and manage my stress.  I have to learn to let things go.  There are circumstances that I cannot control and I need  to not fret about it and practice the serenity prayer. I should probably call it the anti-clenching prayer.  Let's hope it works for me.  God willing and the creek don't rise, I can conquer my stress.

I had always prayed the first part of the prayer below.  I had no idea that it was extended.  Thought I would include it for your information. Surrender and acceptance.  Acceptance and surrender.  Keeping things in proper perspective.  Words to live by.

The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments:

Post a Comment