Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Why We Write Poetry-What Will Your Verse Be?

I found this video tonight. It has been years since I watched The Dead Poet's Society. I remember watching Robin Williams captivate the audience. I wanted to be one of his students standing on the desk. I was in college at the time. It inspired me to want to continue my educational trek into teaching. Looking it over, after so many years, still bring tears to my eyes and inspiration to my soul. I thought about my poetry and my student's poetry. Poetry definitely can set the mind and heart on fire. I see it changing the lives of many of my students. Many of my students are giving it a whirl. I learn so much about them in their writing and sharing. It is such an amazing thing to walk into my classroom and hear my students ask me, "Can I share my poem today?" I have shared my poems intermittently with them. They like them and it is great to have a captivated audience. I see how poetry has boosted their confidence as readers and poets. What Robin Williams says is true. We all have a voice. What will your verse be?


No comments:

Post a Comment