Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Friday, August 15, 2014

Hoops!

Hoops! 

By Maureen Ucles

                                      Dribbling, 
Dribbling, 
                                                  Dribbling
My Spalding basketball
against the battered,
 poor-excuse-for- a- walkway
Cracks
too numerous to count
 like wrinkles on a pitiful, putrid prune
Avoiding those pitfalls
so as
not to 
break 
my mama's back
causes me to move,
swivel, groove
unleash 
some left over swag
 like LBJ
on the 
NBA

I jab step,
spin around
ankle breaking
I am
A I
The Answer
back in the day
Hey!
Can't wait to
meet my peeps
same place
same sound
to
shoot and play
some 
serious, nasty, stupid
Hoops!

The ball spins 
elegantly
from my fleshy finger-tips
Soaring high over my noggin'
Sounds so sick to behold
Swish, swish, swish!
That sound!
Never gets old!
Ah!
Like poetry in motion

My mid range J
In all its glory
What can I say?
Sweet spot
Just right
Glides clear through the
  musty, dusty,and always rusty,
orange chipped
sorry rim
Landing ever so softly
caught then released
in the chain- linked paradise
Basket baby!

Ball!
I call for it!
Music to my enormous ears
Satellites full of delight
A smile for my sweaty face
Rhythms realized
This is definitely 
My day
My time
Ball!

Basketball
 all that  it beholds
No other game
Can compare
No other place
I'd rather be
than 
in this blackened
asphalt jungle
 in the zone
scorching, torching
for all to see
You can't guard me!
Yep!
That's me
Straight up
ballin'
Hoops!

No comments:

Post a Comment