Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Years, Friends and Family

I had such a great day today with my SBISD friends.  Even though the day was quiet exhilarating, I am tired out!  I guess the adrenaline has finally wore off.  Now I want to just crash.

I made reference to my blog several times today, so I must practice what I preached.  I preached a writing sermon today about becoming a better writer by writing!  I said, "I have to be a model for my students.  Whatever I expect them to do, I must do first."  I am showing instead of telling by my actions.
The discipline of writing daily allows me to find my voice, to find the significance.  Here I am in my tired state of mind and body laboring to find the significance of my experiences today.

My day started out with a McDonald's Sausage and Egg McMuffin and a coffee with six creams at 6:45 am.  I wonder how McDonald's measures those creams or is it a guesstimation?  Either way I drink some pretty decent coffee.  I parked my car behind Stratford High School.  My friend Sara pulled up and joined me in drinking our cups of Joe.  She had Starbuck's Mocha.  Mine wasn't quite so fancy.

Then it was off to the races.  I didn't slow down from 7:15am to 4:15 pm.  I felt as if I was in a time warp and that I was directly placed in the book When The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant.  I smiled so much that my face received quite the workout.  I hugged so much that my ribs were crying out, "Hey lady, won't 'cha give it a rest?" Through it all, I was able to meet up with friends from my Hollibrook, Cedar Brook and District days.  Wow!  So many memories, wonderful memories.

I realized that I have been in this district for 17 years and counting.  Seventeen years full of blood, sweat and tears.  I forgot to add laughter to the list because there is much  laughter in the equation.  Laughter from my days at Hollibrook in the classroom, team meetings, Friday tamales, and the fun faculty meetings with Roger, Juan, Patti, Dina, Mary, Solana and Jim, to name a few.  Then there were the great memories of Cedar Brook with Cathy R, Tracey Tomaro, Perlita, Susan, Jim, Tiffany, Omaly, Ms. D, Aida, Dago, Carmen, Veleta and others.  We had a blast with Saturday camps including, Reading, Writing, and Science.  We were in the trenches together all for one goal...students.  I will never forget the crew!
I often think of the 7 years on my district job working with multiple schools and building relationships and memories with teachers and students like Michelle G, Noemi, Olga, Sara S, Omaly S, Martha M, Carol S, Vivian P, Cathy R, Pam B,  Richard, Kathy S, Elsa, Elyse, Walberto, Alfonso, Melissa, Alfredo, Maria C, Romie, Romina, Anita, Maria S, Maria G, Teresa B, Lisa D, Elvia, Donald, Kathy S, Linda A, Alana, Ro, Martha, the Donnas, Lynette, Marquita, Corina, and many, many more!

When I think back, way, way back, tears come to my eyes and my soul is at peace.  These are such great memories for me.  All these years and boy have I been greatly blessed.  Seeing everyone today brought me back and made me more appreciative of the time that I have had and the relationships that I have built with such wonderful people.  It puts things into proper perspective.  Two things hold true for me: I am loved and truly blessed.  Today I realized that I won the lottery.  No, it isn't a monetary lottery. It is a lottery of time and people.  Who would have thought that 17 years ago, that a single mother, with a 14 month old beautiful daughter, would make her way in such a humongous city and find family and friendships that will last forever? If I ever thought that I was alone, I do not believe this anymore, thanks to 17 years and generous people, in an enormous city.

What a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment