Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Saturday, August 9, 2014

On a Roll

On A Roll
By Maureen Ucles

I am on a roll
In the zone
waiting for some kinds
of
baritones
just hold the phone
cause
these words
are like
debilitating
disease
that's gone 
viral 
or pandemic
flu-like
if you will
two million hits
on 
Youtube
or 
Twitter?



I am in the zone
just flowing
and knowing
that these
words
might just
take flight
and 
grow some
dendrites
or was it
retinas?
and maybe
just maybe
some 
eye
sight
Am I hopeless?
What's my plight?

But what do I know?
Me?
Little old me?
No quite enough
to know
that I shouldn't be
writing these
words 
or even
contemplate 
letting them go
take flight
'cause
I am not 
accomplished
sophisticated
just right
or write?
like 
Billy Collins
or the other
pros
whose
job it is to
know
and grow
these words
like the sages
on the stages
paying pennies
on the dollar
or worse
 minimum wages
lost in kennels
or cages

I am in another world
flying to and fro
letting these palabras
fly
emerge
diverge
the truth
in some
strange
kinda way
but I jest
or do I play?
Can you really take me seriously?
just want to say
'cause I
want these words
to diverge
formulate
and
start 
articulate
bring in the lawyers now
to litigate
some irate
road 
rage
persona
in 
H-town 
around 
five thirty
o'clock
Hey
dude!
Calmate
and
put your unwarranted anger
danger
away
let it go
no need
to say 
a little dirge
while 
letting
that offensive-like bird
disappear
from the hand
no need
to get 
all 
defensive...
driving?
Yeah
go on
with your bad self
move on

Some people--
Really now--
just let it go
save it for a rainy day
soothing
pounding
sound of rain
dancing 
in the streets
cooling down
feeling the crown
placed to the side
of my mind
these palabras
starting to stop
halt
don't go there
running out
on empty
no money
broke
like my grandma's
rocking chair
leaning
slightly
ready to caer
off this page
Where's the sage?
Gone for the day!
What?
It's that time already!
Time to go
and get ready
to post
this
crazy
looking
poor-excuse-for-a
poem
Just ask Billy Collins


No comments:

Post a Comment