Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Saturday, August 9, 2014

On Furlough

On Furlough

By Maureen Ucles

To get the cobwebs out of my mind, I like to start my day with a coffee and a poem.  There's something about writing and reading that calms me down and if I don't get to do either one before I start my day, I feel out of sorts.  So here goes...

                                                                Furlough


I am finally free
sort of...
 on furlough
from this purgation
torment nation
just leaving the station
a sort of...
brief, brief reprieve

So I am free
at last?
For today and from my past?
Who knows how?
Who knows when?
Will I exit stage right
Take an exodus-like flight
into the unknown

Reprieve?
'til the doubt
settles in
voices chime and chime and chime
melodies?
Sometimes a clamouring clanging symbol
deafens, darkens
 my soul

Today
I am on furlough
waiting to be
released from this cruel confinement
out in perpetuity
maybe for eternity?
I don't know

Furlough
for some time
drink it all in
time to unwind
let the shackles fall
get into the zone
let it all flow
into something
new
out of this blasted box
into the surreal...

Walking away
out of this
prison cell
from the yard
throwing away the chains
scrubbing the charred remains
from my skin
my mind
my heart
walking through
the gate
seems a bit
frightening
even so
I am free
for now
ON FURLOUGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment