Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Saturday, March 21, 2015

My Life is a Packet

Here is a poem that I worked on a few years ago. I was knee deep in benchmarks and looking over STAAR Reading and Writing released tests. I wanted to write a poem from the point of view of a packet and comparing it to life.

My Life is a Packet

By Maureen Packet Ucles

My Life is a Packet
What a concept, right?
Nicely stapled
Papers lined up
Just right

Take a look inside
You'll find
My life is a packet
Neatly placed
On your pristine desk
Waiting to be read
Yearning to be known
Only a 
Packet

Go ahead
Turn the page
Hey!  Anyone home?
This is so confining
Refining
Hindrances
 flowing
Got to get going
Can't quite
Break free
From this incessant
TYRANNY
So nicely stapled
on your pristine
Always clean
Cherry-wooden desk
Packet

Turn the page
Nah!  
More like
Rip 'em away!
Set the pages free
Why don't 'cha now?
Just like me
Wishin' I could explore
Not be such a bore
My sorry life
in a packet
Packet

My life
Packet
Convenience
No mess
No worry
Just so very
Perfect?
Hardly
Really?
Yup
Perhaps so
Perhaps not
I say NO!
Not in the least!
Not
True
Fallacy
Balancing
Total
Smoke Screen
Calloused
Worn down
Packet

My life
On the way
Outta
My 
My 
Ever Loving
Mind
Kind?
Straight Jack-et
Repose
Pages exposed
Life
Is
A
Packet

No comments:

Post a Comment