Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Monday, March 2, 2015

Abydos Literacy Institute

he Abydos Literacy Institute is now going on in my district.  Several of my colleagues and friends are attending this great staff development opportunity.  I experienced Abydos Literacy Institute last year with a group of seven.  We were called the Magnificent Seven, whether we deserved that title or not. It was a very relaxing and reflective three weeks.  I really would love to go through it again.

 To get you in the right frame of mind, I would like you to do some intense visualization.  Now for just a second, imagine yourself on a beach in Mexico, sitting on a pristine paradise watching the waves come in and the cool breeze flow through your hair.  The wind hits you and all is completely right with the world. Breath in the fresh air and take everything in that surrounds you.  The sun is slowly setting in the distance.  Ahhh!  Take in this moment! The crystal blue water, palm trees swaying, cool, white and sandy beaches, perfect temperatures and an iced tea with lemon at your side.  Beach chair, flip flops in the sand,  a clear mind, a complete and total chill experience. Stay here for a while.  How about three weeks?  Vacation and reflection time!  For me, that vision about encapsulates my time at Abydos last Summer. Needless to say, I  loved it, loved it, loved it!  I felt complete rest and relaxation for my weary soul.  I was able to work with a fellow writers and share my writing and thinking for the duration.  We learned so much that our brains were on overload.  There was no time for boredom at all!  I allowed myself to be fully immersed in the process.  What other place allows you to explore writing and reading each day, in a completely natural atmosphere?  I wasn't drinking the Koolaide, but rather breathing in the wonderful beach air and feeling refreshed.  Now if you ever, ever get a chance to spend three weeks at Abydos, take advantage of it.  I promise you, you won't regret it!  To my friends and colleagues:  Have a great time! Enjoy the journey.  You never know what epiphanies and transformations may occur. C'mon!  Jump in, the water is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment