Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Monday, March 2, 2015

On Meeting Alma Flor Ada

I am very sorry that I haven't posted for a while.  I wouldn't blame you if you didn't frequent this blog.  I am going to promise though, to get back on the horse and start riding!  I have been in a funk of some sort lately. The ideas just haven't been flowing.  To sum it up:  I haven't been inspired completely.  I have also been busy and have lots of photos to share very soon.  Today, today, today inspiration took hold of me and wouldn't let go!  I listened to two great Spanish poets.  One is Alma Flor Ada and the other Janet Campoy.  Since  I have been a bilingual educator, I have read her books and poems to my classes of the masses.  I never thought I would meet her, let alone talk to her about my poetry.  Needless to say, some Spanish poetry inspired me to write again!  During the session today, she gave us some verbs to use to jump start our poetry.  Of course, it was all in Spanish too.  She asked us to pick out someone important to us.  I thought of my abuelita, mom and daughter.  I decided on my lovely daughter Elizabeth.  This is what came out: (please don't criticize yet.  It is in draft form! I am going to ask Omaly Sandoval, my bilingual pair, to help me with it soon!) With tears rolling down mis mejillas, escribo este poema a mi querida hija Elizabeth!

Elizabeth

Oigo risas y carcajadas
Persivo el olor de velas de fragrancia
de calabazas y galletitas de azucar
calientitos del horno

Me siento bien contenta
mas que nada
estar a tu lado
viendo las programas de
la tele o
hablando muy de noche
de lo que pasaste
durante tu dia
vida

Sufro mucho pensando en ayer
como estaba tan chiquita
con una sonrisa tan grande
jugando, jugando, jugando
Ahorita te quedas tan elegante
Eres una muchachita llena de promesa
Como creciste tan, pero, tan rapido?

Te gusta hacerme reir
con tus chistes y locuras
Sueno a verte tan feliz
en tu futuro seguro
que realizaran tus propios suenos
que todavia no sabe
por completo

Me magino que tu saldra delante
y lucera tu camino con
tu caridad y buen corazon
siempre... con su buen corazon

Creo en ti mi'jita
que orgullo
me da
con tu creatividad y determinacion
no hay nadie
como tu

Soy una madre super feliz
bendecida siempre
mi vida cambiada
por ti
gracias chiquita
gracias

No comments:

Post a Comment