Express Yourself

Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
--Dr. Seuss

Monday, March 2, 2015

Whizzing By

Whizzing By

By Maureen Ucles

How time travels
How my mind ravels
into yesterday, today 
tomorrow?

Time whizzing by
in traffic  
Beltway 8
Sam Houston Tollway
to be exact
Cars, SUVs
Humunga chunga monsta trucks
whizzing by
as I 
pay my toll
would you please
deposit some coins
cash
No EZ Tag
Uggh!

Pay my toll
on the grassy knoll
 many tales 
have been told
some horrific
not to be too specific
no money?
No checks accepted
what?
There they are
my precious
as I search
desperately
 my purse
Quarters!

 I shoot
with an angle
off the backboard
like Timmy Duncan
three pointer?
Hardly
straight
into the well
 my quarters dangle
in and out off my
fingers
just to fly 
hopefully
land
in the right spot
place
  finally
rolling 
down, down, down

Freedom!
Freedom!
at last
the guard rail
swings open
Permission granted
I am out
onto the
whizzing
whizzing
of 
traffic
at 6:45 am
Sam Houston
Beltway 8
No, I am not late
just in time
to roll up to
get my coffee
with cream
whizzing by

No comments:

Post a Comment